Join our team
Leone, Dot and Ellen spring cleaning.
WE ARE AN APPROVED VOLUNTARY WORK ORGANISATION WITH SERVICES AUSTRALIA
If you are 60 or older, or if you are 55 – 60 and have been on an income support payment for 12 months or more, you could meet your mutual obligation requirements by performing 30 hours per fortnight of approved voluntary work at the New Italy Museum.
See: Services Australia (re mutual obligations for over 55’s) (https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/mutual-obligation-requirements-if-youre-55-or-older?context=51411)
A travel allowance is provided.
If you answer YES to any of these questions;
- Are you enthusiastic about local history?
- Do you love to collect and organise stories, learn and share?
- Do you like Italian culture?
- Would you like to build your confidence, make new friends, and learn new skills?
Then you should consider joining our dedicated and passionate team of volunteers at Historic New Italy, on the Pacific Highway just South of Woodburn.
Volunteering can expand your experience of shop sales, museum processes, organising events and activities, and particpating in grounds keeping.
Kirsten recently joined our gift shop team.
Benefits of volunteering:
Learn new skills and share your talents
Meet new people and feel more connected and valued
Gain a sense of purpose and achievement
Become part of a community
Improve your confidence and self esteem
Combat stress, depression, isolation and loneliness
Peter, Ellen, John, Lester, Robert, Tina, Leonie, Judy, Jimmy and Peter.
Positions are available in the following areas:
Casa Vecchia Gift Shop
- Attend the shop 9.30 – 4pm on rostered days of your choice
- Public Relations Officer / Ambassador – convey the story of New Italy to visitors
- Managing stock, arrange displays, spot stock-takes when necessary
- Sourcing merchandise
- Data entry into our cloud based Point of Sale system
- Manage an e-commerce site
- Contribute towards keeping the workplace clean and tidy
Susan (left) is showing Carmen the ropes
Fran is another new comer to Casa Vecchia
Museum and Pavilion
- 1st Monday each month, onsite for jobs big and small
- General upkeep of the displays, cleanliness, wear and tear, breakages. Clean, mend and repair
- Digitising the collection. Scan or photograph donated objects, record details
- Update the database of items in the museum and pavilion
- Build and install new displays
Grounds and Gardens
- Grounds person and general maintenance
- Mowing, edging, pruning, weeding, planting, fertilizing and maintaining trees in a healthy state
- Use power and hand tools
- Maintain a litter-free site
- Co-ordinate gardening with Val and Kel
- Co-ordinate with community service group
Cynthia, Ellen, Leonie and Leone handling the silk display.
Dot, Leone, Susan, Ellen, Cynthia, Lester and Leonie.